Autumn Book Recs (+ My Fall TBR!)

It's Spooky Season babes.

Every time fall rolls around, I start my search for new books with that perfect blend of cozy, spooky, and all things autumn. Unfortunately, I’m a scaredy-cat so all the horror and creepy novels that peek their heads out of the graveyards this time of year are not an option for me. *sheepish grin*

With that being said, I am back with a list of autumn books for your TBR that are cozy with just the right amount of magic and spooky. The first section will be books that I love and recommend for this season. The second section is a list of books I am hoping to read this autumn. So without further ado, here are some awesome options for your fall TBR!


Autumn Book Recommendations:

An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson
A human artist makes the mistake of painting the autumn faerie lord with mortal sorrow in his eyes. But that’s just the beginning of this gorgeous road-trip-esque journey through the world of faeries. 

Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks
This is literally the cutest graphic novel filled with harvest fun, fall-ish food, and budding romance. 

My Plain Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows
A comedic and paranormal retelling of Jane Eyre full of ghosts and a certain writer named Charlotte Bronte - a perfect spooky read that’s not frightening.

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
4 different Londons, a peculiar coat with many sides, dark magic and portals and high stakes and amazing characters. Seriously, you need to read this book. (Also it’s set in October.)

Olivia Twist by Lorie Langdon 
Not only is this a sort of Oliver Twist retelling, it is also a historical fiction full of secrets and swoon-worthy romance that gives off the perfect cozy fall vibe.

Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson
This is probably the spookiest rec I have on this list but it’s SO good!! It’s a Victorian fantasy full of libraries and sorcerers and monster books and a random demon servant who can turn into a cat. I adore this book so much.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
This classic fantasy is full of characters who have escaped their books through dangerous reading magic. I think this is a perfect cozy read for this season. (The Inkworld series is one of my favorites!!)

To Best the Boys by Mary Weber
This one isn’t set in the fall (from what I remember) but it has strong spooky dark academia vibes to me. Not only is there a large labyrinth of puzzles and clues but there is also poison and cadavers. So fun times all around! ;)
 
Fawkes by Nadine Brandes
The Gunpowder plot of November 1605 + color powers + a mysterious stone plague + Nadine Brandes amazing writing = a book you should read this autumn.


Books I Want to Read This Autumn*:
*Disclaimer: I’m a mood reader so I will read whatever I feel like and often it's not what's on my planned TBR. I may read all of these... I may read none of these... I am at the mercy of the mood reading gods and no one can save me.

The Inheiritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Someone said this book is like Cinderella meets Knives Out with deadly relatives and lots of money at stake and I am all here for it. 

The Bone Gap by Laura Ruby
A missing girl in a midwestern town full of gaps and a boy who can’t remember faces? Sign me up.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
A dark fantasy heist full of misfits and birds sounds perfectly fall to me.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
I have been dying to read this historical fiction for years. It sounds amazing and dark and sad and full of hope so wish me luck.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
It's classic gothic lit, baby, why not? It also sounds super dramatic so I’m all in.

If You Come Softly by Jacqueline Woodson
This interracial romance looks heartbreaking and the cover seems so fallish.

The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson
This will be my first Brandon Sanderson book and it was highly recommended to me. It also looks like it has magical school vibes which I love for fall.

Fairest by Marissa Meyer
I’ve been procrastinating reading this book because I don’t want to leave the Lunar Chronicles world. *cries in fangirl* But this villain origin story seems absolutely perfect for spooky season.

Now Entering Addamsville by Francesca Zappia
Arsonists, ghost hunters, and a murder mystery. Looks kinda cute and spooky and my library had it so why not? ;)

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
An annual competition is held to race deadly water horses... and that’s literally all I know. Haha! Each review I read on this one says this book is amazing and feels like November so I figured I would try to read it in November! ;)

A Gathering of Shadows / A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab
They are the second and third books of the Shades of Magic series and I'm hoping I love them as much as the first!


Well, that’s it! What books are on your fall TBR? What books do you always recommend for autumn? I’d love to hear!

Until next time!

~ K.J. Haakenson


Comments