"Sorcery of Thorns" by Margaret Rogerson

“It was always wise to be polite to books, whether or not they could hear you.”

Training to be a warden in the Great Library of Summershall, Elisabeth Scrivener’s dream is to protect her kingdom from the power of the magical living books, called grimoires, that line the shelves she’s lived among all her life. But when an act of sabotage on the library unleashes one of the most dangerous grimoires, the book turns into a hideous monster of ink and leather. Despite her desperate attempt to stop the destruction, Elisabeth is implicated in the crime and sent away from home to face justice.
The only person who believes her side of the story is a sworn enemy of the library: a sorcerer named Nathaniel Thorn. Working together, they must stop the sabotage before all of the great libraries of Austermeer are destroyed - and the world with it.
Everything Elisabeth knows about herself and the world is turned on its head as she is drawn into a centuries old conspiracy. Encountering deadly books, dangerous secrets, and a charming sorcerer with a very peculiar servant, Elisabeth must find out what’s true before it’s too late.

(Note: The book I purchased has an Owlcrate exclusive cover)

To start this review, I'd like to mention a few things.

This book is not for every reader. 
"Sorcery of Thorns" is a gritty but witty Victorian fantasy set in a world where libraries are homes or prisons for dangerous living books called grimoires and citizens can acquire the abilities of a sorcerer. With that said, this novel has many instances of demons, summonings, sorcery/magic, pentagrams, and the Otherworld.
I was aware of the dark themes as I read this book but I never felt that the novel was oppressive or "demon-worshipping". Although I do not agree with everything in "Sorcery of Thorns", the things I do agree with, such as morals and character growth, I believe wholeheartedly. Even though Margaret Rogerson did not write this book from a Christian perspective (of which I am) there were strong themes of loyalty, love, self-sacrifice, and identity. These themes were so passionately communicated that they overwhelmed the darker themes.
I stumbled upon a quote in "Sorcery of Thorns" that completely and utterly embodied my thoughts on this novel.

"For these were not ordinary books the libraries kept. They were knowledge, given life. Wisdom, given voice. They sang when starlight streamed through the library's windows. They felt pain and suffered heartbreak. Sometimes they were sinister, grotesque- but so was the world outside. And that made the world no less worth fighting for, because wherever there was darkness, there was also so much light.” 

Even in the gritty and sometimes grotesque story of “Sorcery of Thorns”, there is light and beauty in the narrative. In the midst of dark themes, there is lighthearted dialogue and strong morals. Although this book is not for every reader, I quite enjoyed it. As a storyteller, I loved the artistry and wonder of it all. "Sorcery of Thorns" went above and beyond my expectations. 

The characters Margaret Rogerson created for her second novel may be some of my new favorites.

Elisabeth Scrivener rocks. She is not only a total nerd about books, she is also wild, strong, and emotional. I found her character extremely refreshing and inspirational.

Nathaniel Thorn... my heart, this guy. The sorcerer Nathaniel is almost a clichéd tortured soul, but his charisma, wit, and sarcasm keeps him realistic and amazing (but also heartbreaking at times).

Elisabeth and Nathaniel’s chemistry was spot on. The witty banter they volley back and forth as they work together to stop the sabotage on the libraries was quite enjoyable to read. (I am pretty sure these two added 30 years to my life.)

Nathaniel’s demonic servant, Silas, completes the fantastic trio that Margaret Rogerson created.  And wow. Just wow. The raw strength of Silas’ quietness and love as well as his self-sacrifice just stunned me. His character is so mysterious and loyal and unsettling and WOW. Also he can turn into a white cat whenever he pleases and the humor stemming from his transformation is amazing.

The intricate imagery of Margaret Rogerson’s imagination enriches the plot of this magical book. As I read “Sorcery of Thorns”, I was swept into the Victorian-era fantasy of a bookworm’s dream. The style of writing reminded me of a thickly woven fairy-tale, full of beauty and peril and monsters and books. Even as a standalone, Margaret Rogerson wraps up everything beautifully to both satisfy her readers and keep them wanting more. I honestly wish there was more book. I was in a book hangover for a while after this one.

Oh, and a side note about the title... “Sorcery of Thorns” seemed like a cliché YA title when I first heard it, but in reality, it fits perfectly and brilliantly with the book! *fangirling noises*

With it’s themes of identity, love, and self-sacrifice, Margaret Rogerson’s novel shines bright in a world of confusion, hatred, and selfishness. Sure, it's not perfect. But it's pretty fantastic.

I’m giving “Sorcery of Thorns” 4 out of 5 white cats named Sir Fluffington.

Until next time!

~K.J. Haakenson

Comments