Towering TBR (Part: August)

In the blink of an eye, summer is over. Trading out flip flops for boots and lemonade for pumpkin spice, the transition to fall is a lovely and exciting one. But before I fully commit to autumn, let's talk about the books I read this past month!


 Starting TBR Count: 31
TBR Reads: 3
TBR DNFs: 5
Rereads: 1
Library Reads: 6
Books Purchased: 4
Books Gifted: 1
Final TBR Count: 23
Total TBR Books Checked Off This Year: 43


TBR Reads
Resistance Reborn by Rebecca Roanhorse - 2 stars
Somehow both boring and oddly disturbing? Plus it doesn't add anything to the Star Wars canon.

Emma by Jane Austen - 5 stars
Baby's first Jane Austen and she didn't disappoint!! This book is so wholesome and wonderful.

The Phantom Menace by Terry Brooks - 5 stars
Reading my favorite Star Wars movie as a novel was an absolute TREAT.

TBR DNFs
Postcards from Summer by Cynthia Platt - DNF'd at 30 pages
This book is 600 pages long and I've tried twice now to get into it. A melodramatic romance is just not for me. 

Mark of the Raven by Morgan L. Busse - DNF'd at 20 pages
I might have liked this when I was younger, but the set-up was already feeling cliche.

A Peculiar Peril by Jeff VanderMeer - DNF'd at 10 pages
Once again, a thick book I couldn't get into. It felt odd and pretentious and although I wasn't in the mood, I learned the 2nd book hasn't even been written yet, so I saved myself the hassle. 


Circle of Shadows and Cloak of Night by Evelyn Skye - DNF'd at 15 pages
The premise sounded interesting, but the author already info dumped so much world-building via a play in the 1st chapter and I just couldn't do it. 

Gifted Reads

Unleash the Cosmos compiled by Nathaniel Luscombe and Jenni Sauer (and features yours truly) - 5 stars
So beyond honored to be included in this phenomenal poetry anthology next to 16 other AMAZING authors! This collection is truly out of this world!

Rereads
Winter by Marissa Meyer - 5 stars
Reread the last book in the Lunar Chronicles and it's officially become my favorite of the series!

New Reads
The Nightmare Virus by Nadine Brandes - 4.5 stars rounded up
Compulsively readable and vibrantly visceral, this book will live rent-free in my mind for a LONG time. 

Suspended in the Stars by E.A. Hendryx - 3.5 stars rounded down
Part space circus, part sci-fi adventure, this book was fun, but not a top favorite.

Library Reads

Emma and the Blue Genie by Cornelia Funke - 3 stars
Cute and short read by my favorite author, but not memorable.

The First Cat in Space Ate Pizza by Mac Barnett - 5 stars
I adored this quirky, laugh-out-loud graphic novel!

Rosetta's Dress Mess by Laura Driscoll - 5 stars
Rosetta gets a concussion and loses her fashion taste! As someone who has had 2 concussions, this book was hilarious!! This is in my top 5 Pixie Hollow books for sure.

Queen Clarion's Secret by Kimberly Morris - 3 stars
The queen goes missing in this short mystery, but the ending ultimately isn't as engaging as the other books. 

Lily in Full Bloom by Laura Driscoll - 4 stars
Flowers are losing their color after Lily invents a new seed... I guessed the twist very early on, but it was still fun!

Vidia Meets Her Match by Kiki Thorpe - 3 stars
Toxic and competitive friendship troubles in Pixie Hollow! This story was quite intense and ended abruptly but great for Vidia fans. 

Books Purchased

Hamlet by William Shakespeare
I saw a local outdoor play twice and loved it so much that I needed my own copy!

Yumi and the Nightmare Painter by Brandon Sanderson
I was highly recommended this by my bestie and I can't wait to read it!

More Days at the Morisaki Bookshop by Satoshi Yagasawa
I read the 1st book last summer and really enjoyed it. I am looking forward to seeing what happens next!

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit - previous 5 stars
I read this as a kid and then again as an adult last year and finally bought myself a copy!

August Thoughts
This past month, I got to find many new 5 stars, but also DNF'd quite a few books! It's been nice to get more in touch with my current taste in books instead of being bound by the ones I bought for myself 4 or 5 years ago. We are on the final stretch of the year and the last 20-something books of my physical TBR! I slow down my reading habits in the cooler months, so I don't believe I will finish every single book on my TBR. However, I hope that all the books I leave on it for the New Year will be 4 or 5 stars! I am so excited for autumn reading and can't wait to see what my TBR brings me next. (I will also note that I have been buying a lot of books and breaking my rules but it's okay at this point xD)

Until next time!

~ K.J. Haakenson

Comments