Towering TBR (Part: March)

    Did March just zoom by for anyone else?! I can't believe it's over already! But you know what that means ;) It's time for another installment of Towering TBR! I have been having so much fun and this game has been quite motivating to work through my "To Be Read" pile.

To start this month, I gave my younger brother the top pick of my TBR. He chose 5 books in particular and although I read 3 of those in March, I also added a few extras I was in the mood for. It was nice to have a more structured TBR since I haven't been reading as quickly!




Here are my March stats!

Starting TBR Count: 53
TBR Reads: 6
TBR DNFs: 3
Rereads: 0
Library Reads: 1
Book Buying Credits: 0 
Books Purchased: 0
Books Gifted: 0
Final TBR Count: 44
Total TBR Books Checked Off This Year: 22

You read that right: I have officially made it through 1/3 of my physical TBR already!! Let's see what I read to get there...

TBR Reads:

2 Fuzzy, 2 Furious by Shannon Hale - 3 stars
Fun, silly, and nostalgic for 2010s Marvel media, 
but not as good as book 1.


The Captive Maiden by Melanie Dickerson - 1 star
Unoriginal Cinderella retelling with zero chemistry
and forced "moral" themes.


Enna Burning by Shannon Hale - 4 stars
Solid middle-grade fantasy, elemental fantasy,
 2nd half really popped off!


River of Secrets by Shannon Hale - 4 stars
Beautiful aesthetic, political espionage, and water magic!


Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - 5 stars
Absolutely obsessed with the story, these girls feel like family, 
and the book is way better than I imagined.


His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik -
Solid friendship dynamic and cozy tone, but disappointing 
due to slow plot and repetitive action.

Library Books:

Forest Born by Shannon Hale - 3 stars
Final book in the series, liked the connections to previous books,
but weak in character development.
(this was a library audiobook - aka a TBR freebie!)



DNFs:

Journey into the Darkness: The Gathering 
by Chuck Galloway - DNF'd at 30%
Just really really badly written.



Throne of Jade and Black Powder War by Naomi Novik
I chose to DNF books 2 and 3 of a nine book 
series since I didn't love book 1. 

March Thoughts:

This month, I felt a big pull towards the fantasy books on my shelf, but particularly some of the middle-grade or adult ones I've had for a while. My ratings were hit and miss this month so to be honest, I'm really ready for some solid YA stories, but that's for the next edition ;)

I have also been reading "Little Women" since late December. It was such a cozy classic to start the year with and an incredible experience to finish it during the last snow of the winter here. "Little Women" is definitely a top-5 classic book for me.

This month was hard to not buy any books, but getting a newly released book from the library (you'll see it in next month's edition!) truly gave me just as much serotonin! I would like to stay strong this spring and just keep chugging away at my TBR, but I will be honest, my birthday is this month and I will 100% dive into new books if I receive any (I have been saving "gifted book" credits on purpose LOL).


Until next time!
~ K.J. Haakenson

Comments