Towering TBR (Part: February)

Wow! How is February over already? I know it's the shortest month of the year (we even got an extra day this time), but it blew by so fast. But that also means it's Towering TBR time!! (If you don't know what I'm talking about, go check out the original post and rules here!)

This month was full of very slow reading so even though I didn't read as many books as I initially hoped for, I was still able to find some new favorites!


Let's look at February's stats:

Starting TBR Count: 58
TBR Reads: 4
TBR DNFs: 1
Rereads: 1
Library Reads: 0
Book Buying Credits: 0
Books Purchased: 0
Books Gifted: 0
Final TBR Count: 53
Total TBR Books Checked Off This Year: 13 

You might ask "Why haven't you earned a Book Buying Credit yet?" and that's a fantastic question! As much as I love buying books, I've been saving for the smaller book credits: 5 TBR reads for a library book and 3 TBR reads for a gifted book. At the moment, I have 1 Library book credit and 2 Gifted book credits. My birthday is later this spring and I plan on asking for books for my birthday, so I figured I better start saving!! ;)

TBR Reads:


The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie Hall - 2 stars
Could have been exciting and fun but was convoluted and full of flat setups instead.


A Little Beside You by Jenni Sauer - 5 stars
A soft, gentle, and warm romance yet full of tough moments, hurt, and grief... but also waffles.



Upon a Frosted Star by M.A. Kuzniar - 5 stars
Stunning and scrumptious, and dark and poetic. This is a book to savor (and cry over just a little.)



A Rush of Wings by Laura E. Weymouth - 3 stars
Solid romance thread and wild Scotland imagery, but the world-building and emotional connection felt lackluster for me.


Rereads:


The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale - 4 stars
Books 2 and 3 in this series are on my TBR and it's been ages since I've read book 1! The audiobook was fantastic and I forgot how good this story was.


DNFs:

The Downstairs Girl by Stacey Lee - DNF'd at 50%

With too many mediocre plot threads, I found I was getting bored instead of becoming invested.


Extras:

#1 Hilo: The Boy Who Crashed to Earth by Judd Winick

#2 Hilo: Saving the Whole Wide World by Judd Winick

#3 Hilo: The Great Big Boom by Judd Winick

All three of these books were not on my TBR however, my younger brother asked me to read these with him! I don't have an official rating since I'm not the target audience, but I will say Book 3 is my favorite so far.


February Thoughts:

I'm not going to lie... It was difficult to not buy books this month *hides face* Buuuut I followed the rules and I'm proud of myself! There are still a lot of books on my shelf and so far, there has been a book that fits my mood every time I look for it. There's really no need to buy a book right now except for the habit (or maybe addiction??)

If I read/DNF 5 books a month going forward, I should be on track to finishing my TBR by the end of the year. But this fact will most likely fluctuate! I'm having fun and that's what counts :)

I'll see you next time!

~ K.J. Haakenson

Comments