My Best and Worst Books of 2023

Welcome to the New Year!

This time of the year is the best to be on the book side of the internet. Many readers are sharing their favorite books, their least favorite reads, and all kinds of awesome stats that both inspire and inform other readers as we all enter into a new year of reading. Every reading year has its highs and lows and I'm here to share them all!

Here are some stats about my 2023 reading:

- I read 82 books in total

- 12 of those reads were rereads

- 10 of my reads were audiobooks

- I beta-read 2 fantastic books by author friends

- And I DNF'd 4 books*

*should have been more but we'll get into that


So without further ado... let's get into it ;)



WORST BOOKS OF 2023

Let's start with the bad news first. What are the books that disappointed me? What are the books that make me cringe when I see them in the bookstore now? What books wasted my time so badly that I wished I DNF'd them? 


Runner Up: Spells for Forgetting by Adrienne Young

I have really enjoyed Adrienne Young's writing in the past, but the tone and content of this story were off-putting. The vibes and needing answers were the sole reasons for finishing the book, but even the ending left me frustrated. 


5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I'm in the minority with this opinion. The Book Thief is considered to be a modern classic but for me, I felt betrayed by the dramatics. For me, the experience was more exhausting than inspiring, more manipulative than emotional. But I wish it were the other way around.


4. My Imaginary Mary by Hand, Ashton, and Meadows

I am a huge fan of these authors' hilarious and witty takes on history. However, this rendition was neither of those things. The story was unfortunately drawn-out and boring the whole time even though they had so much content to work with.


3. Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Mariller

I read this as an audiobook and found myself bumping up the speed so I could be done with it. Although it's a Twelve Dancing Princess retelling, all I got were lackluster vampires, an unoriginal take on feminism, and our main character kissing both frogs and cousins.


2. A Wilderness of Stars by Shea Ernshaw

[spoilers in this one sorry, but it was so bad - please don't read it]

Where do I even begin? Think cowboys and aliens except the aliens don't show up until the last 40 pages and everyone is dying of consumption that can be cured with Advil. I'm always down for an original genre mashup but the writing and characterization were actually terrible. The "plot twist" at the end basically deemed the entire book useless by the end and I almost threw this book against the wall.


1. The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James

I thought this would be a semi-tragic romance set in space, but all I got was a disturbing stalker thriller that makes me feel ill whenever I look at the cover. Yep, this wins the #1 spot in my worst reads this year, which is saying a lot because of the stiff competition it was up against. *grimaces*


And now we get to the good stuff!


4-STAR RUNNERS UP:

Not all books can be 5 stars, but the three I've included below gave me some of my favorite reading experiences regardless of their rating!


Days at the Morisaki Bookshop by Satoshi Yagisawa

I wasn't originally going to put this book on this list because I had a hard time enjoying the writing style. But the visuals and family themes make me think back to this book again and again. This was my first Japanese translated fiction and I am looking forward to reading more!


Once Upon a Broken Heart and The Ballad of Never After by Stephanie Garber

Are these the best-written books? Far from it. Did I have a ton of fun reading them? Oh yeah. Did I also forget almost every detail? Also yes. Am I going to reread books 1 and 2 in the New Year so I can devour book 3? ABSOLUTELY.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Suzanne Clarke

I almost didn't read this 846-page book, but with the help of the fantastic audiobook, I'm so glad I did!! This historical fantasy is all engrossing and brilliantly written. There are some characters and scenes that will always live in my mind.


BEST BOOKS OF 2023:

These are my top favorite books from the 82 that I read this year - the crème de la crème, so to speak. These are the books that got 5 stars and the ones I couldn't stop thinking about. Every single book is different, but they all have one thing in common: their stories spoke to my heart in ways that other books have never.


14. Last of Her Name by Jessica Khoury

My favorite Space Girl Summer read this year! This was the sci-fi of my dreams: colorful, adventurous, and full of both action and heart.



13. The Glass of Lead and Gold by Cornelia Funke

Set during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, this 90-page book leans into dark, wintery, street-level magic vibes. This little story is full of amazingly crafted women who light up the dark of a dangerously, grim world in their own beautiful way.


12. Bennett Turns into a Cat by Ireen Chau

I had the absolute privilege to Beta read this novella in the fall. I will always devour Ireen's stories, and this was no exception. This had me giggling, kicking my feet, and tearing up. I can't wait to have a final copy in my hands.



11. Mysteries of Thorn Manor by Margaret Rogerson

I read "Sorcery of Thorns" back in 2019 and it became one of my top favorite books. This novella is set after the events of the original book, and it is just pure fun!! A fantastic fluffy winter read!


10. The Door-to-Door Bookstore by Carsten Henn

I bought this book randomly while I was traveling and read it in one day. It's like Up meets 84, Charing Cross Road in the most wholesome, bookish way possible.


9. Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Technically, this was a reread from when I was 15. But reading it again 8 years later was so impactful and such a beautiful experience. It didn't make a lot of sense to me as a kid but now it does and I'll be recommending it to every adult that I can.


8. 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff

Comprised of letters from an American author to a little bookstore in England, this small volume starts off clever and cozy and doesn't end until it completely steals your heart.


7. Bellegarde by Jamie Lilac

Like the best 90s romcom with the color palette of pastel macarons, this book was absolute fun and fluff and not at all historically accurate. I had the best time.


6. The Herbwitch Princess by Ireen Chau 

I devoured this book SO quickly. If I thought I loved The Herbwitch's Apprentice, boy do I ADORE this one!! I am so invested in this series and this book is such a great time. Prepare to swoon and whoop and gasp as I did.


5. Little Thieves by Margaret Owens

Technically my first 5-star of the year, this book was delightfully engrossing and darkly clever. The characters are so wonderfully flawed, the worldbuilding so intricate, and the vibes absolutely delicious.

(sad side-note: I heard that book 2 is unfortunately bad, so I am going to live in my happy bubble and call this one a standalone because it really can live on its own.)


4. The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke

This was my first read of 2023 and I had rated it a very enjoyable 4 stars. But strangely, for the next 12 months, this magical story about plucky orphans in Venice making their own way never left my mind. So here it is at number #4 instead of 4 stars. Cornelia Funke continues to be my favorite author of all time.


3. The Magician's Daughter by H.G. Parry

Recommended to me by my book bestie, the lovely @dear_feely, this story about a small, mismatched family fighting to bring magic back into the world was absolutely stunning. The reading experience was made even more delightful with the addition of my own "magical" bunnies outside my workplace.


2. Tress of the Emerald Sea by Brandon Sanderson

This book is my first foray into Brandon Sanderson, and I am happy to say it won't be my last! Full of adventure, heart, and wit, this book quickly became a new favorite. The world-building was phenomenal, the main character was delightful, and the cup collection was plentiful. 


1. The Fragile Threads of Power by VE Schwab

I read The Shades of Magic trilogy in 2020 and they kept me afloat in a really hard season. Flash forward to 2023 and the series got a new book!! Being back in this world was an absolute gift and I enjoyed every moment with my favorite characters. I can't wait for the next installments!


What were your favorite reads of 2023? What were your least favorites? Tell me all about them below!

Here's to another year of reading!

~ K.J. Haakenson

Comments