Top 2022 Reads

How's it going, 2023?

Before I start thinking about what books I want to read in this new year, I want to reflect on my favorite reads from the past year. I read a total of 70 books in 2022 and it was definitely a mixed bag! There were many 2 and 3-star reads but I did read quite a few 5-star books too! If you keep reading, you will find my list of top reads for this year (all rated 5 stars!), counting down to my top favorite book I read in 2022. Enjoy!




15. "A Place to Hang the Moon" by Kate Albus

One of the highest-rated books on my Goodreads shelf with a 4.60-star average rating, this cute middle-grade about three displaced orphans during WWII was very heartwarming and had a totally satisfying ending.


14. "The Final Gambit" by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

The last book in the Final Gambit trilogy is fun, flirty, and mysterious! The author definitely picked it up a notch from book 2. Loved the conclusion of this series.


 

13. "The Captive Kingdom" and "The Shattered Castle" by Jennifer A. Nielsen

These are two sequels published 6 years after the last novel - I loved reading from the mind of Jaron again. These books are amazing and so nerve-wracking. I chose to count these together since they feel integral together.


12. "Yesterday or Long Ago" by Jenni Sauer

A modern royal mashup of Aladdin and Pride & Prejudice with a sci-fi twist, "Yesterday or Long Ago" was such a delight to read. The bookish setting was so cute, the romance wonderfully fluffy, and the emotional undertones were very heartwarming.


11. "Gallant" by VE Schwab

This dark and beautiful book still follows me around months after I've read it. V.E. Schwab is always a master storyteller but this one in particular cuts deeper than others. It's a quiet killer with its enchanting world-building, haunting illustrations, and silent main character. 


10. "Wind Daughter" by Joanna Ruth Meyer

This is a companion novel to "Echo North" (see number 7 below) but it doesn't make it any less stunning or unique. "Wind Daughter" was absolutely wonderful and brought me to tears multiple timesI felt so seen by the main character who struggled with both social anxiety and high sensitivity. It was a beautiful and emotional adventure like no other.

9. "Reckless" by Cornelia Funke

It's no secret that my favorite books of all time are the Inkheart Trilogy by Cornelia Funke. I finally decided to try more of her books and Reckless was one on my TBR. It was so different from Inkheart but still just as magical and sweeping! After reading it, I discovered that the author rewrote the first book so she could write the rest of the series. I read an old copy, but I plan to reread the new version and continue the other books this year. 


8. "Stellarlune" by Shannon Messenger

After two years, we Keeper of the Lost Cities fans finally have a new book!! The wait was definitely worth it, and I loved being back in one of my favorite series. (And how amazing is this cover??)


7. "Echo North" by Joanna Ruth Meyer

After reading "Into the Heartless Wood" last year, I knew I had to get my hands on more of Joanna Ruth Meyer's writing. This book was full of dark fairytale vibes, amazing plot twists, and characters I will never forget.


6. "The Bones Houses" by Emily Lloyd-Jones

I am a complete scaredy-cat and can be very picky with books that have creepy elements. But I heard this book was wonderful, so I decided to check it out. Not only was this book magical, action-packed, and heartwarming, but it also had just the right amount of spookiness for me to enjoy it but not be creeped out at all! A perfect fall read!


5. "All the Crooked Saints" by Maggie Stiefvater

This book honestly had it all: miracles, owls, radio stations, saints, and 1960s vibes. I adore Maggie Stiefvater's prose style, her unique aesthetics, and her characters. "All the Crooked Saints" had me annotating and absorbing this book up in only a few days.  


4. "Brotherhood" by Mike Chen

Over the summer, I fell in love with Star Wars books. I have been a fan of the movies and shows since I was 7, but I never took the time to read any of the novels. "Brotherhood" was absolutely phenomenal and connected Attack of the Clones to the beginning of the Clone Wars. The author did such an amazing job matching character voices and emotional arcs, that I felt like I was watching a new movie. This is by far my favorite Star Wars book.


3. "Wishtress" by Nadine Brandes

I have loved Nadine Brandes' work for years, so I was very excited to get my hands on her first fully fantasy book. Although her other books are great, this one was her magnum opus. It was devastatingly beautiful and emotionally complicated and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I highly, highly recommend it. 


2. "Heart of Iron" and "Soul of Stars" by Ashley Poston

I am also counting these books together. I have never read a duology that kept me so invested throughout both halves of the story. I fell in love with all the characters and the unique world so quickly. The ending left me in tears but only the best kind <3 I can't wait to reread this series someday.


1. "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern

This is my book bestie's favorite book of all time. She had been trying to get me to read it for over 2 years, but I was hesitant due to all of the hype around it. I finally decided to pick up "The Night Circus" in November and oh boy, was I glad I did! This is unlike any other book I've read. It was unbelievably beautiful and the story completely swept me away. This is 100% a modern classic and I look forward to rereading it in the future.


And there's my top 15 reads of 2022! I can't wait to see what new books hit my top list for 2023...

Until next time!

~ K.J. Haakenson

Comments