How I’m Reading Differently This Year

Reading has been a treasured hobby of mine for as long as I could remember. 

Curled up on the couch, hiding in a corner, sprawled out in a sunbeam, you could find me anywhere with a book, sifting through pages of magic with my little fingers. I grew taller and my books grew thicker, and I continued to read because there is nothing better than a brand-new world - or even a familiar one - in between two covers. 

But no matter what it is, as soon as you turn a hobby or a passion into something you sell to the world (whether you are receiving money or feedback as currency), your greatest love gets worn out, loses its sparkle. You still adore it, but it weighs a little heavier on your shoulders.

I want to love reading forever and since no one is going to perish if I don’t read 50+ books in a year, I’m switching my process up, I’m keeping it fresh. Here are the ways I’m reading differently this year and how I want to keep that specific magic intact.

Disclaimer: These are all things I’m going to try and I might change it back someday. Also, if you do things differently than I do and love it, please continue to! <3



I am no longer posting reading wrap-ups on my bookstagram. Listen, it’s stressful to try to cram a certain number of books within the first and last day of a month, forcing the start date and the end date in the same month. I love looking at other bookworm's monthly wrap-ups but I’m letting this one fall off my to-do list. My reads can meld between the months or take as long as they'd like. That way, I can enjoy as much or as little reading that I fit in. 

I’m letting my mood reading take over. Some people like to plan their TBR (to be read) pile and some people like to read whatever they feel like. I fall in the latter type. Somedays, I am just in a mood to read a certain type of book but that mood can also change very quickly. I will just read whatever I feel like and not worry about a list.

I set a low reading goal. Scandalous, I know ;) Most years, my goal is to read somewhere between 40 and 60 books, which is totally plausible for me. But sometimes, my goal overshadows my actual enjoyment of those books. I set my reading goal to 25 books because I knew I was likely to read about 2 books a month. If I exceed the goal, awesome! If not, whatever! 

I'm going to reread whenever I want. Often, I feel "guilty" for rereading a favorite book when there as so many unread books on my TBR pile. But I would like to refer to an earlier point I made: "no one is going to die" if I do. Rereading books is like visiting an old friend and I think we could all use that right about now.

I will let inspiration take the lead on my blog. I used to have a schedule for blogging but I realized that I wasn't loving all the content I was creating. I adore books and reading but if I'm just pumping out content I'm not inspired by, I don't want it. Maybe I'll post twice a week, maybe once a month - either way, I'm going to love my work.


So all of this to say, I am letting go of unrealistic expectations of myself so that I can fully enjoy reading and blogging as well as making time for my writing goals again. Thanks for coming on this journey with me ;)

Until next time!

~K.J. Haakenson

Comments