Corsets, Vampires, and Vengeance: A Readalong Blog

I don't know about you, but I tire of seeing the same books over and over in bookstores, libraries, and on bookstagram. There's a reason why popular books are popular but sometimes, I just want something new to me, something fresh, something different. 

That is why on my last library trip, I picked up three books that I wouldn't normally pick up. In fact, I picked three books I've never heard anyone talk about in my book circles.

And I'm going to share my (spoiler free) experience of reading them with you ;)




Even though I've read the synopsis for each book, I have not looked up reviews or others' thoughts so I am hoping to dive into these without bias. I could love them, I could hate them, but either way, I am very excited to see what happens for each. Here are the books I selected!


Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman

I'm not a western fan (like at all) but I adore it's cover and vibe. It looks like a book about a girl who disguises herself as a boy to join a group of outlaws to avenge her dad. I'm hoping for a gritty coming of age story that deals with the consequences of revenge and the dark side of grief. Also hoping for a campy western if I'm honest - I need all the wild west vibes or none at all xD




Vampires, Hearts, and Other Dead Things by Margie Fuston

I watched all the Twilight movies with my BFF earlier this year and although I really only liked the 2nd and 3rd ones, something deep inside of me needed more vampires in my life xD This honestly looks really cute and yet sad? It's about a young girl whose father is dying, and she decides to find a vampire so she can become one herself and save her father. I'm expecting a fluffy paranormal contemporary that deals with death and grief. I want to swoon and I want to cry so we shall see what happens LOL (This one might suck... and yes, that pun was on purpose.)



The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman

For one, this title is amazing. This title is even more amazing when you learn that it's a regency novel with fantasy elements. I briefly glanced over the synopsis and I honestly don't remember what exactly it's about buuuut I'm still excited to read it. I've got my fingers cross for dark humor, regency glory, and a good magic system.





VENGEANCE ROAD

3/5/22

I just finished the first chapter and holy smokes you guys. I adore the main character, Kate - her voice is so strong and very wild westy (is that a word?) The author is not pulling punches AT ALL and I'm really excited to see where this goes.

Pages read in total: 49


3/6/22

This is fast paced and I am super invested! There are just enough subplots to keep things intriguing. However, there is a little more language than I was expecting and one instance of a racial slur - but I suppose that's a western for you. I am now halfway through and depending on how the ending unfolds, I am expecting a solid 4 star read!

Pages read in total: 117


3/7/22

Just hit the 200 pages mark and I don't think a western has ever made me feel this much since Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron in 2005. I am way too invested and I have a strong feeling this may not end well.

Pages read in total: 34


3/8/22

Went on a small road trip with my family today! Didn't make a lot of time for reading but I did get a few more chapters in and wow. I was not expecting that. No spoilers but ouch, the author is not pulling any punches.

Pages read in total: 40


3/9/22

Ahhh okay, okay this was really good!! The themes of revenge were really well done, Kate's narrative voice was so great, and UGH THE ENDING! It was a little predictable but in an amazing way? Honestly surprised by how much I enjoyed this. Although the swearing was a bit much for me, I am definitely going to read the companion novel to this book, Redemption Rails

Pages read in total: 87


Final Rating: 4 stars



VAMPIRE, HEARTS, AND OTHER DEAD THINGS

3/10-12/22

I'm going to be honest here, I'm not really vibing with this book. It's been 3 days and I'm only a few chapters in. The world this book is written in is our own present reality except with Vampires that showed themselves a few years back. The worldbuilding feels a little haphazard and with themes as important as loss and grief, the vampire thing feels foolish. I will keep going as long as I can just to see how the author will deal with it. But my expectations are so low right now haha.

Pages read in total: 60


3/13/22

I just can't with this one. I don't want to spoil anything but I am so bored. Traditionally, I am not a contemporary or a vampire fan so this might be a me problem. *facepalm* Anyways, I chose to stop reading and flipped through the ending instead. I am honestly glad I did not finish the book. Although it may be great for other readers and might touch the life of someone who is dealing with grief, it just wasn't my jam.

Pages read in total: 26


Final Rating: DNF (did not finish)



THE DARK DAYS CLUB

3/21-23/22

Oh boy here we go. Three paragraphs into the book and a "demon horde" is mentioned. I knew the book had fantasy/supernatural elements but this isn't what I was expecting. So far, the story is just regency expectations for women and I'm not loving it. The writing is good but the jury is still out on the plot.

Pages read in total: 30


3/22-23/22

I am getting a very weird vibe from this book for multiple reasons: graphic violence descriptions, the casual acceptance of demons (and not the fantasy kind), and a potential love interest that is related to the MC. However, my wonderful bookish friend, Mary (@dear_feely on IG - go check her out, she's the best), looked up the reviews and told me the books just get more dark the longer the series goes on. With all of the above in mind, I decided this just wasn't my cup of tea.

Pages read in total: 31 


Final Rating: DNF


FINAL THOUGHTS ON THE EXPERIENCE

Well this was quite the ride! I found a new favorite, DNF'd a book sure to sheer boredom, and DNF'd another based on content. I took a peek at the reviews for all three books and although I probably wouldn't have picked up the vampire book, I still would have brought the other two home. It was an interesting experiment and I don't regret trying new stories, however I'm ready to pick up some books I know I'll like ;)


Here is what I learned:

- Although it's fun to branch out to find new books, I can absolutely trust my gut on what I will or won't like.

- The genre of the book may effect the setting and plot of a books but it doesn't necessarily change the overall enjoyment of a story if it's well written.

- Even though a title is cool, the story may not be. *sheepish grin*

- Discernment is honestly a really important skill when reading. Our time is precious and we should waste time reading books we don't enjoy or ones that bother us. It's 100% okay to stop reading a book.


Thanks for taking this crazy journey with me. Until next time!

~K.J. Haakenson

Comments