Spilling the Tea (My Controversial Bookish Opinions + 5 Popular Books I Didn't Love)

Typically, I don't like to state negative opinions about books. I’m a writer and an aspiring author so I know what rejection feels like. I never want to hurt a published author just because I didn’t like one of their books.

But I’m also a reader and as such, I have opinions. Plus, I'm in the mood to stir the pot a little ;P So today, I'm spilling the proverbial tea. Keep on reading to see my controversial bookish opinions and which popular books I didn't love. ;)

(Please take into consideration that these are my opinions and I’m totally fine with you disagreeing with me. I’d love to hear what you think!)



1. I Probably Won't Finish the Caraval Series

Okay, okay, hear me out. I quite enjoyed the first book but the second had a little too much Deus Ex Machina for my liking and I wasn't as in love with the world the first time around. I know the hype around this series is huge and I think Stephanie Garber's writing is great but there are a lot more stories I would rather read at the moment. 


2. The Second Hunger Games Book was Actually Better Than the First

When the hype was big about this series back in the early 2010s, I read the first two books (the third was super depressing for me and I'd already seen the movies so I chose to DNF). I thought "The Hunger Games" was interesting but I actually enjoyed reading "Catching Fire" more. They felt like the same story twice but the second book was way more exciting and I liked the characters better. I honestly wish "Catching Fire" was the original Hunger Games and there was no trilogy. (#sorrynotsorry)


3. I Don't Like Ally Condie's Writing

Sorry to all the Matched Trilogy fans... I met Ally Condie at my first YA writer's conference and she was super cool. But I really don't like her writing style. I tried both "The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe" and "Atlantia" but just couldn't get into them. I was confused with descriptions and where the stories were going so I was truly not interested. 


4. I Have No Interest in Reading Harry Potter

Once again, please don't come at me for this one. I chose not to read these books as young reader but as I grew up, I heard more and more about the books (including spoilers). If this series was only a few books long instead of 7 and a HUGE fandom, I might try them. But I just don't have the time or energy for a series I know a lot about and still have zero interest for. But I do know my Hogwarts house (Hufflepuff if you're interested). 


5. Fae Romances are Overrated

Yep. You heard me right. After Sarah J. Mass' "A Court of Thorns and Roses", Holly Black's "The Cruel Prince", and many many others, faerie romances are starting to feel like the next Twilight. I liked Margaret Rogerson's "An Enchantment of Ravens" a lot but it didn't feel as original as it could because of the hype fae books have right now. Bonus points if a regular "I’m not beautiful" girl gets kidnapped by some broody faerie dude with absolutely no manners and somehow they fall in love. *gags*


Popular Books I Didn't Love


"Crown of Feathers" by Nicki Pau Preto

Wayyy to much info dumping and it was honestly boring. I was very disappointed since a book about phoenix warriors sounded so cool but it just felt like a set up for the rest of a series I don't care to read.


"One of Us is Lying" by Karen McManus

Stereotypical teens have "big" secrets, someone dies, they get framed. I finished this book because I needed to know "whodunit" but it really felt super cliché for me. I'm also discovering I have little interest in books set in high schools.


"House of Salt and Sorrows" by Erin A. Craig

I don't do horror. I was told this was spooky but not creepy. It was creepy but like in a ridiculous over the top way? I wasn't sure if I should be laughing or cringing. I was intrigued and creep out for 3/4 of the book but the last quarter was honestly so terrible I wanted to throw the book. 


"The Crown's Fate" by Evelyn Skye (The Crown's Game #2)

I absolutely loved the first book in this duology. It was intense and magical and heartbreaking so I was super excited for the second book. I'm not gonna lie, this one fell flat. The stakes didn't feel as high and instead of focusing on the characters I fell in love with in the first book, it focused on a higher evil power trying to take over the world. I wish "The Crown's Game" was a standalone. 


"Havenfall" by Sara Holland 

This book had so much potential but it just felt like set up for the second. I wanted a fantasy mystery set in a magical inn but all I got were weird politics and awkward love interests. Pretty slow and disappointing if you ask me.


Whelp those are my controversial bookish opinions *hides under desk* What are your thoughts? Do you disagree or agree? Any popular book that didn't swing it for you? I'd love to know!


Until next time!

~ K.J. Haakenson

Comments

  1. I fully agree with your second point! And I also didn't care for House of Salt & Sorrows. I do love fae books, but like... old ones? Wicked Lovely and The Iron Fey. I got into those way before it became "popular" to have fae books and I'm totally not a fan of ACOTAR and The Folk of the Air, etc. Okay so I also do ADORE Caraval, but I can see why you wouldn't care for it. It's always so interesting to me to see how peoples' opinions differ when it comes to books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I'll have to check those out! I have a feeling I would like the older fae book over the newer ones too... Thanks for the recs! And yes, I devoured the first Caraval book but then I was disappointed in the direction it was heading in the second one. I already have a huge TBR and so the third book slipped off to lowest priority haha! Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your perspectives! <3

      Delete

Post a Comment