I’m Doing NaNoWriMo (For the First Time!!!)

It’s Saturday evening, October 18th, 2020. I’m scrolling through Instagram looking at writing posts. Another one pops up about getting ready for November. Another one stares me down like it does every year.

And that was the moment, I decide to do NaNoWriMo.

A little history before we begin. National Novel Writing Month, otherwise known as NaNoWriMo, is a program where writers of all ages attempt to write a novel from start to finish (the goal is 50k words) in the month of November. I’ve heard it’s intense and kind of crazy but also unbelievably helpful for writers.

Most people know they are doing NaNo by August or September and spend the rest of October as “Preptober” for the upcoming month of insane writing.

I’m a little late to the game, I know. 

This year, as I watched people post about NaNoWriMo and their stories and writing goals, I automatically told myself “I have never done NaNo, so I am not doing it again.” I also told myself “You have a busy life with work and family and responsibilities. You don’t have time to write a novel in a month. You’re a slow writer, so why try?”

But then it hit me. Isn’t that what NaNoWriMo is for? Buckling down for just a month, missing out on a few TV shows, reading a few less books, losing a little sleep, but writing an entire novel?

I’m not quitting work, I’ll still have the small social life I had before, I can’t afford to write until 2am. But I can intentionally set aside the time to write instead of picking something else to do. And write I will.

So here I am to document my first NaNoWriMo journey whether it is successful or not.




Why am I doing NaNoWriMo this year?

As a slow writer, I've been working on a draft for my WIP for 2 years. It's painful but true. I want to finish it SO BAD so that I can continue working towards my goal of being a published author someday. (Plus, the more I finish, the more *new* stories I can pursue as well.)

I am hoping that NaNo will give me the push to finish this draft and the excuse to do it.


What am I writing?

Although most writers, start a brand new story, I’m being a rebel and continuing my current WIP: “The Deadly BINGO Society”. It’s an eccentric historical fiction mystery set in the 1970s about an orphan raised by 5 old ladies trying to find her parents killer. It’s full of hippies, mafia, assassins, and of course lots of bingo. If you want a more in depth look at it, there’s a blog post about it here.


Here is a mock cover for my book!

(All images belong to Canva but the design is my own)


What are my goals?

The ultimate goal of NaNoWriMo is to write 50k in a month. My first draft already has about 22k words so I will do my best to write an extra 28k words. If I write more, hooray! If I actually finish my first draft, even better!! I don’t know if that is cheating but also I am a slooooooooooow writer and anything that can give me a boost is much appreciated. So basically, my main goal is to either finish the first draft or make a huge dent in my progress whether or not I hit that 50k.


What things am I going to change to get it done?

Like I said earlier, I work during the day so I will be writing before work in the mornings and in the evenings after work. Hopefully that will equal a good 6 hours of free writing time? (Not sure if this is actually accurate... I just tried to do the math and failed.)

I will still take the time to talk to family and text my critique partner for help and go out for coffee with my BFF (if you’re reading this, I promise not to abandon you *wink wink*).

I won’t be reading much or at all this month (though I really want to read Scorpio Races so I might sneak that in for “creative refueling”.)

As for the blog and my bookstagram, I will be taking a short hiatus so I can focus all my brain power on my novel. I may post random sleep deprived updates on my bookstagram but don’t hold your breath. There will be no blog post on the 17th but I am hoping to pull together a “how did it go?” post on December 1st.


What supplies do I need?

Since I’ve never done this before, I’m not entirely sure. Obviously, I’m going to need a keyboard and lots of notebooks. I’ve heard that chocolate and candles are a must as well... Below are a list of essential (and non-essential) items I’m collected for NaNoWriMo.

- reusable water bottle

- iPad with attachable keyboard

- my story notebook (the one with the llama on it)

- silly putty for fidgeting 

- my favorite fountain pens

- “Writer’s Desk” candle by Leaf and Lore, Co. (my story candle)

-  assorted snacks and chocolate

- wireless earbuds (for blocking out the world)

- cozy slippers and blankets 

- my story playlist 

- SO MUCH TEA 

- reference and research books I’ve collected

- a mock book cover to keep my inspired

- bubble gum for when I need a boost

- “A Prayer Book for Writers” by Courtney Kleefeld to help me stay in the right head space

BONUS: a small secret reward I am planning to buy myself if I reach the 50k word mark OR finish my first draft. *evil author laugh*


Well, that’s all I have for now. I am off to write!

Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year? If so, good luck!!


Until next time!

~ K.J. Haakenson 

Comments

  1. This sounds like fun! Hope it goes well for you! I think I am going to try it out some time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! Awesome that you're taking the leap into NaNo. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment