15 Thoughts I Had While Reading Rook Di Goo by Jenni Sauer

Cadet Elisandra Elis is haunted by the things she’s done.

If you haven't read Rook Di Goo by Jenni Sauer, you should change that and pick up a copy. It's full of all the beautiful things we love in books. A sort of planetary Cinderella story, Rook Di Goo is full of found family, disguises, tea, and crew shenanigans. In the pages, you’ll meet a grumpy captain with a heart of gold, a medic who serves tea with advice and medical expertise, a spunky loud-mouthed pilot, a serious but snarky security guard, and a patriotic deserter who is just looking for a place to belong.

I really enjoyed reading this novel so I wanted to share the experiences with you by writing down some of my thoughts! Below are more like teasers.. no outright spoilers just excitement over a story xD If you are afraid of spoilers just go buy the book. ;) But if you want to read a random commentary with not a lot of context (*insert crazy reader laughter here*), feel free to proceed! :D



1. El is such an understandable character. Even if I don’t have all the facts about what lead up to the decision she’s making, I still get the why. I WISH HER THE ABSOLUTE BEST

2. I want to travel to all these planets with my very own space family. *starts texting friends about starting a crew*

3. Jenni’s prose is raw and thoughtful and very personal. I can really feel her love and passion for her characters and readers in each word <3

4. I love snarky and witty banter!!! Also, so! much! tea!

5. Okay so Captain Behnam has some serious space Mr. Darcy vibes UM YES PLEASE

6. “YOU TOOK A HIT OUT ON ME?” What an iconic scene. *chef’s kiss*

7.  El’s PTSD and anxiety rep is so raw and real. It’s makes me sad but also helps me understand others better. I am so glad she has Ginger to talk to.

8. Ooooo we get the we need to get information but there’s this big party so we all gotta dress up trope and I am so happy!!

9. Poor Prince Tov. You’ll find your Elassi wife someday ;)

10. I have now tabbed multiple lines that have made me laugh out loud. That is so rare and I am loving every minute of it.

11. I just went from “wow, Gibbs is a jerk” to “holy cow, I love him”. What a character arc *heart eyes*

12. That entire conversation was intense. 0__0 

13. Ohhh El deserves the world. She is so brave and patriotic and she doesn’t realize how strong she is because all she sees are her broken pieces. YOU’RE AMAZING GIRL!

14. PLEASE TELL ME THERE WILL BE MORE BOOKS ABOUT EL AND LEIV BECAUSE I LOVE THEM. I NEVER WANT TO STOP READING THIS PLEASE TELL ME THERE’S MORE BOOKS ABOUT THE ADERYN CREW!!!

15. I wasn’t going to cry but then I read the letters Jenni wrote to her characters and holy cow I’m sobbing. I’m fine. This is fine.

I am giving Rook Di Goo 4 out of 5 pairs of standard military issued boots.

Thanks for going on this roller-coaster review with me! ;) 

Until next time!

~ K.J. Haakenson

Comments