Book Recommendations Based on My Plants

I am the proud mother of 9 beautiful plants. (I am also the sad murderer of 3 other plants but that besides the point.) Each of my plants seem to have different personalities, attitudes, and tastes. The other day, my BFF (who is also wonderful plant mom) was helping me brainstorm blog post ideas and she said "Why don't you recommend books according to your plants?"

So here we are! *jazz hands*

Ever wonder what books I would recommend to my plant babies? Look no further! ;)

(Plants pictured front to back: Gladys, Grimm, and Galileo)

Goose (aloe vera)
   Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson
Goose is named after a certain alien cat in Captain Marvel just like a certain character in this book who can also turn into a cat.

Galileo (chenille plant)
Illuminae by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman
Named after a great astronomer, I think Galileo would appreciate this intense space thriller.

Galadriel (jade plant)
The Ranger’s Apprentice Series by John Flanagan
I named my jade plant after a lovely lady elf from Lord of The Rings and these fantasy books are heavily inspired by J.R.R Tolkien’s classic series.

Gladys (mother of hundreds cactus)
To Best the Boys by Mary Weber
Gladys seems like a very feminist old lady who would enjoy that sort of book. (Plus there’s like a super poisonous pointy hedge kind of like a cactus in the story.)

Gwin (barbary fig cactus)
Inkheart by Corneila Funke 
This one seems obvious but also perfect since my cactus is named after Dustfinger’s feisty marten in this fantasy story dedicated to bookworms.

Growly (bear’s paw)
Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young
Bears are an important symbol in this Viking enemies-to-lovers standalone and I think Growly would appreciate that ;)

Griswald (black prince plant)
The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow
Griswald would need a book as amazing and pretentious as he is and this one’s it.

Genji (chocolate soldier / panda plant)
Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger
Genji strikes me as a plant that would enjoy this middle grade story stocked with lots of yummy food and adventure.

Grimm (tiger’s tooth aloe)
Stepsister by Jennifer Donnelly
Being named after the Brothers Grimm, my aloe would appreciate this darker Cinderella retelling focused on changing your fate.

BONUS: Gypsy, Genevieve, and Greta (RIP)
A Time to Die by Nadine Brandes
... I don’t think I need to explain this one ;)

(Plant pictured right to left: Galileo, Grimm, and Gladys)

Do you have any plants? What books would you recommend to them? :)

Until next time!

~ K.J. Haakenson

Comments

  1. This has got to be one of the most creative bookish blog posts I've EVER read. Not only that, but your book suggestions are fantastic! Also, I love the names you gave your plants. Too fun! So glad I got a chance to read this! xx

    Stephanie | @theespressoedition // shesawstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! Thank you!! And thank so much for stopping by and reading it! I am so happy you enjoyed it! :D

      Delete
  2. Love this K! Haha! Keep following His dreams for you, you talented thing...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment