3 Gateway Books into the YA Fantasy World

The YA genre can be a difficult world to navigate. 

For me, I didn’t start reading young adult books until I was 16 or 17. I loved reading but I wasn’t quite ready for the darker themes or older content that YA books typically have. Yet I longed for books that would challenge my reading skills and ask questions about the world I had never thought to ask. 

For other early to late teen readers, it can be overwhelming or even challenging to find good books that they are comfortable reading within the YA section not to mention within the fantasy genre. Although a popular genre for all ages, it can be hard to find stories where the magic or themes don't feel too dark. 

So without further ado, here are 3 fantasy books for tweens, teens, or even adults who are looking to edge their way into the world of YA books. 

(Note: Because this book list can be for younger teen readers, I have included content warnings. Please contact me if you have any specifics questions or concerns about content or themes.)



1. The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan
My best friend recommended The Ranger's Apprentice Series to me about 5 years ago and I was totally hooked. The Rangers are a mysterious group of warriors who keep the peace and help orchestrate happenings in the kingdom behind the scenes. The wide cast of characters and intense adventures are what make these books absolutely phenomenal. There are 11 books in the original series, 2 in the prequel series, 3+ in a sequel series, and 7+ books in a companion series. So basically, you never have to leave the world of Rangers. 

CW: mild language, action and violence, frightening creatures, kissing between boy and girl, battle scenes.

2. The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen
These books, y’all. If you like sword fighting, high political stakes, orphans posing as royalty, and complicated web of lies, this book is for you. There are 2 (soon to be 3) more books in The Ascendance Quartet and holy cow, for middle-grade literature, these are amazing books!

CW: kissing between boy and girl, action, mild violence, torture (not graphic).

3. Fawkes by Nadine Brandes
This is one of my favorite YA books from one of my favorite authors. Ever wonder what really happened during the Gunpowder plot in 1605? Although it spans both the fantasy and the historical fiction genre, this standalone novel is full of color magic and courage and conviction. It’s absolutely stunning! (For a spoiler-free and in depth review, click here)

CW: action, violence, kissing between boy and girl, magic.

Was this list helpful? I hope you were able to find a book or two that will help you dive into the world of YA fantasy. If so, let me know what other genres you want me to do! :)

What was the book that helped propel you into YA stories?

Until next time!

~ K.J. Haakenson

Comments