5 Reasons Why You Should Read The Lunar Chronicles

I have a book hangover from an amazing series so I want to share it with you. I started reading this series in 2019 and with every book, I was pulled further and further in the fandom and now I am fully indoctrinated. *grins and hugs books*

So without further ado, here are 5 reasons you should read The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. 



1. Fairytales in space
Cinder is Cinderella, Scarlet is Little Red Riding Hood, Cress is Rapunzel, and Winter is Snow White. And these aren't just simple retellings. The Lunar Chronicles are intricate and unique and each story weaves together such a thrilling and beautiful way. There are rebellions and fancy balls and prison breaks and heists and diseases and space travel and moon queens AND JUST GO READ IT!

2. Intense, funny, chaotic, and heartwarming adventures!
I am a big fan of stories where ragtag groups come together and become a sort of family against all odds and The Lunar Chronicles were no exception. I giggled and cried and gasped and cheered my way through these books alongside The Rampion Crew. So freaking good.

3. Diverse characters
One thing I loved about this series was the fact that each character was vastly different in skills and smarts, in looks and personalities. All sorts of different people are represented in this cast of characters - not one of them better than the others, just different and wonderful. It was so encouraging for me to see a wide array of body types (boyish, curvy, petite, tall, muscular, lanky, scrappy, etc.) as well as a variety of ethnicities represented.

4. All the relation“ships” are amazing and different
Every single friendship and love story feels real and unique in these books. Everyone interacts differently with each other and each couple is uniquely their own (No cookie cutting here!) Also NO LOVE TRIANGLES (thank the stars).

5. SO MANY BOOKS
Ever love a series so much, you would do anything to read one! more!! book!?!?! Here's some good news, Marissa Meyer is the gift that keeps on giving. Not only are there 4 books in the original series, there are also 2 companion books AND 2 graphic novel that you can read for more TLC goodness and Rampion Crew chaos. "Wires and Nerves" Vol. 1 & 2 are amazing graphic novels that take place right after the original series ends. It felt like reading really good fan-fiction but they're canon because Marissa Meyer herself wrote them!! I am currently reading “Stars Above” which is an anthology of 9 short stories about Lunar Chronicles characters from different views and plot points during the series. I’m also excited to read “Fairest” which is a novel from the villain’s perspective and holy cow, I bet it’s gonna be good.

BONUS: Favorite things about each book
Cinder - Way cool cyborg Cinderella retelling anyone?? (You can read a spoiler free review of this 1st book here!)
Scarlet - Scarlet is heckin' feisty and will literally take on anyone and I love her for it.
Cress - Thorne and Cress give life to these weary bones. Also this is my favorite book in the series!
Winter - This book is freaking intense and even though it's 800+ pages, I wasn't bored for a second of it.

I seriously adore these books. If you want a sci-fi series that is character and action driven with fairytales with some seriously epic twists, the Lunar Chronicles are for you!!

Have you read this series? If so, what did you think? Who’s your favorite character? Although all the Lunar Chronicles characters deserve the best, I would die for Carswell Throne. (No joke. That boy's my new book boyfriend.)

Until next time!

~ K.J. Haakenson

P.S. If you want to pick up this series, Marissa Meyer just dropped brand new paperback covers and they are INCREDIBLE!

Comments